Connecting with Pairing Code
Steps for success:
1. The student and the parent/guardian should do this together if you (parent/guardian) plan to be an observer. Have all students present if possible.
2. You/your student should have received instructions recently regarding a change in their email or user id/login. You will need to go through the process of changing your password if you were asked to do so, before you go further. Once the student account (that ends in silverdaleba.org) has been updated to a unique password, please proceed:
If the student is using the Canvas Student mobile app, follow these instructions: (If using a URL, and not the app, skip to #17.)
3. The student app should be downloaded to the device they will be using for schoolwork. This is what it looks like:
4. Open the app and click "Find my school"
5. Search "Silverdale Baptist Academy" and select the "Teachers/Students" option
6. Use the student login credentials (Ex. 21jdoe and password)
7. Click the top left menu button ("hamburger" button)
8. Select "Settings"
9. Select "Pair with Observer"
10. A "pairing code" will be generated that you will need for the parent app. Write this down, and note that it is case sensitive.
If the parent/observer is using the Canvas Student mobile app, follow these instructions: (If using a URL, and not the app, skip to #22.)
11. Download the parent app onto the parent's device. This is what it looks like:
12. Open the app and select "Find School"
13. Search "Silverdale Baptist Academy" and select "Parents"
14. Select "Create Account" at the bottom
15. Fill in the necessary account set up items and enter the pairing code that was just generated on your student app.
16. Select "Start Participating" in the bottom right corner
*If you have more students, see below
If your student is using a laptop/desktop computer or the Canvas login URL on an iPad:
17. On the student computer, use this URL to login: Canvas Login (You may want to bookmark this)
18. Use the student login credentials (Ex. 21jdoe and password)
19. Click "Account" on the left navigation bar
20. Select "Settings" in the menu
21. On the right side of the screen select "Pair with Observer" and a pairing code will be generated. Write this down, and it is case sensitive!
*At this point you will follow steps 11-16 above on the parent/observer mobile device.
If YOU (Parent/Observer) will be using the URL:
22. The student should either perform steps #3-10 (if using the app) or #17-21. Write down the pairing code (case sensitive).
23. Have the student logout if you are sharing a computer. Go to "Account" on the left and then select "Logout".
24. The parent/observer will click "Parent of a Canvas User" at the top right of the login menu
*IF the parent observer is using a different computer, use Canvas Login (You may want to bookmark this)
25. Follow the instructions listed from 15-16 above.
To add students that you will be observing:
Each student account will generate a pairing code by using the instructions listed above either on the mobile device or if the student is using a computer. Once the pairing codes are generated, the parent/observer should perform the following to add students:
If the parent/observer is using the mobile app,
Open the app, you should see a small arrow beside the student you just paired with.
Click the down arrow and you will be prompted to click an "Add Student" button
Enter the "Pairing code" generated from the next student's account
Continue this process until each of your students are listed that you need to observe
If the parent/observer is using the URL,
It is suggested to add all students that you will be observing when you create your initial account, otherwise you will log in again to add each student once they are available to generate his/her own pairing code.
Parent/observer, when you are logged in, select "Account" on the left side of your screen.
Select "Observing" from the dropdown menu that appears
Enter the pairing code generated for the student you need to add and observe
Select "+Student" and refresh your browser to ensure they have been added